Evolution's Voyage is a spanking brand new company....less than 45 days old....It was placed on the web in Nov. of 95 to place the theories and essays of W. Spriggs into the public domain. The company will move into helping individuals understanding the mating game and why we do the things we do in the game.
- "The theory of natural selection assumes that a reasonable number of possible mating combinations get a chance to consider each other. This assumption is not justified in the 1990's among humans." We are simply not encouraging or allowing single people to mix. The media and parents suppress the idea that young people should expose themselves to strangers and this generally carries through in a person's behavior until well past the time when that person is married. Odds are that someone who has not mixed with enough strangers will have mated inoptimally. Exposure to the opposite sex increases evolutionary potential. But singles events across America and Europe are generally attended only by what the "cool" people would call "nerds" and others who happen to be way over the normal marrying age and who have obviously been shunted aside by natural selection.Sadly, the #1 reason why women ever reject men is because a man was a stranger and strangers are those whom a woman may have been raised to ignore or at least not encourage. Meanwhile, arguably the #1 reason why men reject women is because they are too scared to try to approach female strangers so they reject out of fear of being rejected themselves. Men with fear of rejection, however, are constantly being weeded out of the gene pool. Women with fear of rejection are not weeded out of the gene pool because of the male trait of aggressiveness. In fact, there must be some reason why the female trait of fear of rejection is actually dominant in the gene pool.
- Civilized men don't want sex more than women. Their genetic programming just wants to know that they can get it with several of the best members of the opposite sex if they wanted to. "Dry sex" and other forms of sex without intercourse are probably perfectly acceptable for most men when they are attracted to a woman especially if it would be that or nothing. Men are not as "all or nothing" oriented sexually as women. They will accept going as far as a woman wants to or they themselves feel comfortable with. This may fly in the face of the assumption of many who complain about men being all potential date rapists, but I stand behind it. A smart man really only wants to have actual intercourse with one or a few of the very best women he can find and raise babies with her or them.
- Men can and will reject the most physically attractive women on Earth for being unintellectual. Brains count more and more for women to have, especially in a world where men are legally required to pay for their biological children. I have refused to even play around with some women because I didn't want to be financially strapped by an accident with someone I couldn't remain friends with mentally.
- Men, in environments where there is plenty of competition, must sometimes show extreme courage and forwardness in trying to meet and date women even as they make it look like they are shy boys. The most optimal mates are not necessarily going to be standing around smiling sweetly waiting for a real shy boy to fall backwards over them. The idea that people generally find when they are not looking is probably false. The idea that it is women who really do the hunting and the reeling in of the prey is intriguing but I consider it to be false as well. More studies need to be conducted about this.
- Men rarely reject a woman for having said or done something "unforgivable". They look at the package as a whole (personality, intelligence, humor, looks) and decide from there whether to "forgive" a woman for some wrong doing. Women, however, will not forgive a man for a wrong doing unless he *behaves* in a humble enough manner to "deserve" her forgiveness. Arrogance on the part of the male here will earn him permanent rejection regardless of whether he is intrinsically better for a particular woman than other men.
- Somehow at the end of the 1980's and early 1990's a new type of feminism took root whereby young adult women were told by their parents not to seek out rich older men for boyfriends, but rather men their own age. This is not really in the interest of men over the median marrying age. It used to be said that a woman not married by age 30 was to be considered an old maid and so now there is a movement to make men over 30 considered in the same way. This trend makes the human race more youth oriented than ever before and puts more evolutionary power in the hands of younger males rather than the financially established older males who once held the selection advantages. Witness MTV's policy of having no male or female over the age of 25 participate in their show "Singled Out". One has to wonder how this change in dating patterns will effect society. Will it be for better or worse? Will these younger men chosen by the younger women be more optimal or less optimal in the long run? How will older men react when they realize that all the money in the world won't make them attractive.
- The 1986 AIDS scare caused a sexual counterrevolution the parameters of which scientists and pundits have largely failed to study or discuss properly. Sexual victorianism seems to be the basic state of mankind. Are people looking for the best partner now or are they sticking to people they already know are "safe"? Do they avoid people with "experience" and push them to the edges of the herd making those who say they have no life experience evolutionary winners? I don't want to but tend to think this way myself and know many others who think this way also. What is the overall evolutionary effect of this fear factor which has been present throughout history thanks to a number of microbes? The tendency toward serial monogamy is certainly one effect which has been selected for in evolutionary terms by this fear factor. It seems most of the people over the centuries who would have favored polygamy have died out. There aren't too many babies born to polygamous families in western civilization. More study on this is needed.
Email to the Editor